Thursday, May 3, 2007

Marilee's Grave

I don't have good news. On the MIT Admissions Blog, which has yet to be purged of Marilee Jone's materials, there is post entitled, "Who Needs Harvard?" The date of the blog is August 15, 2006. Here is what she writes:

"Just because you haven't heard of a college doesn't mean it's no good," argues Marilee Jones, the admissions dean at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an outspoken advocate of the idea that parents need to lighten up.

Well, if she felt that way REALLY and does have a degree from St. Rose's College imagine how much more powerful her message would have been had she owned up to it. Then she could have made the point that prestige was besides the point. Instead she seems to be saying the opposite: prestige matters so much I had to lie...and keep lying.

The Boston Globe reported today that her book sales have increased since her resignation.

4 comments:

Ron Newman said...

I don't think Marilee Jones wrote the text you are quoting. "Melis '08, course 2a/premed, mna@mit.edu" wrote it.

Anne Fishman said...

You're right. I've already fixed the blog. Thanks.

None said...

I graduated from the College of St. Rose in 1991. When I lived in the Northeast, not many people had heard of it. And when I moved to Florida, pretty much no one had heard of it. But the quality of my education (including a paid internship with the state legislature that only 1 out of 100 applicant were chosen for) always spoke volumes in my applications and job interviews. I never wanted for a job or career advancement. Today I own my own company and I credit my professional skills and success to St. Rose. I should also say that while St. Rose might now be considered a "competitive" college by some people, the biology degree is demanding. It's a shame that she felt the years she spent at St. Rose were worth nothing more than to be lied about. That says even more about her questionable character.

Blog Master said...

If you are ashamed of where you come from, you are building a weak foundation for life.
Grave maintenance and Care - Ireland!